Retail Product Designer
Assist in a wide variety of design and production functions to support the development of retail product and visual materials for the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston with the goal of establishing and upholding Museums’ brands and educational missions.
- Manage all aspects of design and the production process for the development of retail product and visual materials for the Museum Shops; coordinate the areas of design, illustration, copy layout, color separation, proofing, printing and photography of retail products for the website; manage projects from start to completion, creating schedules and tracking product status to insure timely delivery of product design to the manufacturer; recommend standards, concept, design, and execute product packaging, shop packaging and reproductions
- Work with the Director of Retail and the Buying team, as well as curators and communications staff on the development and design of product, including but not limited to jewelry, fashion textiles, home decor, children’s, and paper reproductions, including but not limited to note cards, postcards, magnets, calendars, and prints; work with buying team to create a cohesive exhibition related product assortment; assist with web on creation of banners, buttons and photography of products
- Work with the Director of Retail and Visual Consultant on the development and design of environmental graphics, signage and promotional support for the shops of the MFA Boston; may include large interior graphics, window banners, event and product signage and visual marketing; collaborate with the Exhibition Design team to insure continuity in exhibition and exhibition shop design including color, graphics and signage; maintain open lines of communication with the Communications and Marketing departments to insure cohesiveness of the MFA brand in the shops
- Maintain specification-based vendor communication, color corrections and press approval for projects as required; may initiate meetings with in-house staff, design and present graphic solutions, oversee production and cost control, and handle correspondence relating to project management and outside vendors
- Oversee design and production of all print support materials; work with Procurement department to evaluate competitive quotes for all print needs, including but not limited to, bags, MECs, product tags, order forms, flyers, package inserts, and other product related print materials; analyze vendor capabilities and remain current on technological advances in the industry to make recommendations projects
- Communicate Museum missions and oversee the work of manufacturer’s designers from initial design through design/color approval process and final production approval
- Support activities as needed, including but not limited to scanning, printing and cutting, creating design comps, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree with three to five years of related experience
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills; Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro) and MS Office 2011 (Excel, Word) required; Flash, Dreamweaver and PowerPoint a plus
- Detail oriented
- Creative and visually intuitive
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, independently or with a team, and meet deadlines
- Ability to successfully manage vendor and department relationships across the organization
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to organize and manage the product design process from start to finish
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com. You may also submit your materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 465 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115.
35 hours per week
Mon–Fri, 9 am–5 pm