Shortly after photographer Mario Testino went to England from his native Peru in 1976, he took his first photograph of British royalty, an impromptu shot of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and her grandson, Prince Edward, as they passed by crowds gathered in London’s streets to celebrate the marriage of HRH the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer. It was the first of many photographs Testino has taken of members of the House of Windsor during the course of his significant career. “Mario Testino: British Royal Portraits” showcases images of the royal family, from Diana, Princess of Wales, and Prince Charles, to their sons, William and Harry, and, most recently, the engagement portraits of Prince William and Kate Middleton, now the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. This will be the first US showing of many of these photographs.
Don't miss "Mario Testino: In Your Face" in the Ann and Graham Gund Gallery (LG 31) from October 21, 2012, to February 3, 2013.
Above: Mario Testino, TRH The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge (detail), 2010. Digitally produced Chromogenic C Type print. © Mario Testino.
In the News
- 10/21/12 The New York Times "A Fashion Photographer's Museum Moment"
- 10/18/12 Vogue "The Hamishphere: Mario Testino Unveils 'In Your Face' and 'British Royal Portraits' in Boston"
- 10/15/12 The Boston Globe "MFA showcases a sure grasp of glamour"
- 9/7/12 TIME "Royal Treatments"
- 8/27/12 The Boston Globe "Familiar Faces in Testino Shows Coming to MFA"
"Mario Testino: British Royal Portraits” is co-sponsored by Swarovski and Stuart Weitzman.
Additional support provided by British Airways.