To ensure that each visitor’s experience exceeds his or her expectations, the Public Programs Ushers promote superior customer service, creating a welcoming environment for everyone, from first-time visitors to returning long-time MFA members.
Public Programs at the MFA hosts over 800 events a year, with a diverse range in programming including international and local film series, seven major annual film festivals, world music and indie rock concert series, art history and celebrity lectures, and much more.
We are looking for volunteer ushers to assist with these programs in our Remis, Alfond, Riley, and Courtyard spaces. We have programs Tuesday through Sunday throughout the day and evenings, with most events ending before 10pm.
• Greeting and assisting visitors, answering questions, giving directions
• Collecting tickets, facilitating the crowds, helping to seat visitors
• Assisting with distribution of materials, promoting future programs, and ensuring events run smoothly
• Communicating Public Program and Ticketing policies to visitors as needed
• Complying with all MFA and Member & Visitor Services policies
• Available for shifts ranging from 2-4 hours long
• Commitment to a minimum of 4 programs a month
• Available for 2 mandatory orientation and training sessions (Dates to be announced)
• Friendly, upbeat & welcoming
• Outgoing personality, ability to interact with a diverse group of visitors
• Enthusiastic and interested in fine art, history, film and music related events
• Customer service oriented, able to handle conflict, and comfortable with crowds
• Reliable, flexible, and patient, even under stress
• Takes initiative and has the ability to multitask and problem solve
• Ability to stand for long periods and walk up & down auditorium stairs (good visibility in the dark) to greet and help visitors find seats
• Some knowledge of the MFA & its programs preferred
• Ability to commit to 8-16 hours (i.e. 2-4 events) per month for at least 9-12 months